12 June 2007

Bihar's Vijay Mallya?


Restaurateur, Property Developer, Realtor, and recently acclaimed Maruti Udyog Limited Best Entrepreneur of the year Rakesh Kumar Sinha is considering a career switch. Like his inspiration, Vijay Mallya, he might become a parliamentarian, to contribute towards a new, vibrant Bihar.

At sixteen, his dad presented him a Mercedes while he was still a student at St. Xavier’s Patna. At eighteen, while a studying at St. Stephen’s College, Delhi, news came that his father, the well known businessman and philanthropist Shashi Babu was no more. An only son, he had no option but to take over his father’s business at that early age. Sinha has recently returned from Athens with the Maruti Udyog Limited Best Young Entrepreneur of the Year award . He received the award at an All India dealer’s conference in Greece to felicitate Maruti authorised dealers.

‘My individual mantra is to thing big and have the courage to invest,” says Sinha, inspired by the Vijay Mallya Kingfisher idea. His two year old car dealership not only beat Calcutta based dealers during the recent Durga Puja by festival selling over 350 cars in three days, his Vau’s Automobiles is the only one from Bihar, Jharkhand, Chattisgarh, and Orissa to make the top 25 in the country.

Sinha took the plunge and invested in a state of the art, all glass showroom and automobile workshop at a time when other dealers were apprehensive to keep shutters open beyond 7 p.m. “In a sense, I am a pioneer. I’m not just selling a car, I’m selling a beautiful experience, an aspiration. People said that my glass windows would be smashed and that Bihar was too rowdy a place to take such a risk. Yet I gave people a beautiful show-room and kept my lights on till eleven pm. Nothing happened. This gave others the courage to invest in beautiful showrooms as well.”

“I want to enter the Lok Sabha to provide a fresh dimension to politics and governance. It’s a dream to do something different, not just earn money. Of that I have enough. I’d like to do something that will add more respect to my family name, and honour my father’s memory, he says.


No comments: