29 June 2010

Forgotten short story

 Almost two decades ago, one of my short stories was published in The Illustrated Weekly of India.
It was typed on an old 'Brother' typewriter and sent off by good old  India Post from Gangtok.
I didn't think it would be published, but it was.
Since then, I've lost the carbon manuscript and even the copy of the published story, which a friend 'borrowed' and forgot to return many years ago.
On rummaging through some old papers, I discovered this acceptance letter.























It says

Dear Mr Krishner
This is with reference to your letter dated January 17, 1992 --- which I found on my desk only a few days ago, since I was on long leave. Anyway, this is ust to inform you that we have neither a shredder nor a lady in high heels in our outer office mailing rejection slips. Yes, we do have one in our inner office, but that bit of information is rather irrelevant, since your short story will not have to go by that route. Look for it in the Weekly issue dated February 29, 1992.
With best wishes,
Radha Rajadhyaksha
Assistant Editor.

Now these were the times before the e-mail and the SMS invaded our lives and made communication terse, functional, or merely banal.
Author: Frank Krishner

1 comment:

allenbhai said...

you wily ol rascal, ah think you is a
amuzzing man....lor halp me